How to Proactively Hunt A Cyber Threat
,As technology becomes a more prevalent part of a business, the days of approaching cyber threats passively are over. By the time a company becomes aware of a cyber threat, more times than not, it has already done its damage. So how can you approach this issue proactively? A well-trained and equipped security operations team is the only way to truly protect your data and information. SecOps teams work to proactively identify and hunt for new risks to ensure the protection of your data.
So what is cyber threat hunting?
Cyber threat hunting is the process of identifying unusual activity on devices and endpoints that signal a breach of data. This defense strategy contrasts with those used by other security solutions; they use firewalls and security information and event management (SIEM) systems. Defense strategies consisting of only firewalls and SIEM systems are no longer enough. These solutions often pick up on threats after they have already breached your data which is why having a SecOps team is necessary to ensure the cyber safety of your organization.
Then why aren’t all SecOps teams hunting?
- Manual processes take too long: Although constant threat hunting can substantially reduce the chances of a breach, different tools make the process hugely time-inefficient. Collecting evidence requires a lot of manual input like packet capturing and drilling into logs. Not to mention the evidence must be verified across a multitude of third-party systems. The complicacy of these steps limits the frequency of hunting.
- Security teams are preoccupied: SecOps teams are well aware of the importance of each threat that becomes detected, and with so many alerts coming in, they have to focus on current security investigations. This leaves very little time for hunting down new threats. Analysts go through thousands of alerts per day, each of which requires some degree of manual investigation. So only about 1% of security alerts are paid any attention, leaving companies very vulnerable to new threats.
How Can Organizations Implement an Automated Solution?
Organizations need to integrate their security solutions. By doing so, they can improve the manual aspect of threat hunting while also incorporating workflows and playbooks to complete these tasks.
Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR): SOAR helps organizations integrate their tools into a dynamic and comprehensive template to increase the hunting capabilities, improve the response efficiently, and protect their organization from attacks. SOAR has the ability to: continuously search for threats, investigate any red flags, and consolidate results for improved understanding.
Improve Overall SecOps Efficiency with Cybersponse Technology: Implementing SOAR solutions allows organizations to take advantage of a centralized view of their security health. SecOps teams can use the information provided to make critical security decisions to ensure corporate data stays secure.
Cybersponse helps integrate systems and significantly improves incident alert management by:
- Reducing the mean time to resolution
- Allowing security teams to focus on more critical security issues
- Automating manual processes that would otherwise require manual labor
- Providing a comprehensive view of security health